In this article:
- Set up your Kobo eReader over Wi Fi
- Set up your Kobo eReader for the first time using a computer
Set up your Kobo eReader over Wi Fi
Before using your Kobo eReader for the first time, charge it for at least one hour. Once your eReader is charged, you can set it up over a Wi Fi connection.
Read the steps to charge your eReader here. Before you start, make sure you have access to a Wi Fi connection.
- Turn on your eReader.
- Tap your language.
- Tap Set up over Wi Fi.
- Your eReader will search for local Wi Fi networks, and show you a list of what’s available.
- Tap the network you want to connect to.
- If necessary, use the on-screen keyboard to enter the network password.
- Tap Join on your keyboard.
- If necessary, tap Date, Time, or Time Zone.
- Tap Continue.
- Your eReader will download any available updates. The updates may take up to 20 minutes to complete.
- Tap the sign-in option you wish to use, and use the on-screen keyboard to enter your details. If you already have Kobo books, you’ll see them being added to your eReader.
After you connect your eReader to a Wi Fi connection, you’ll be prompted to sign in to your eReader.
To sign in to your eReader, you’ll need a Kobo account. If you’re new to Kobo and do not have an account, under ‘Create an account’, tap Set up a new Kobo account and follow the onscreen instructions.
Note: If you prefer to create an account using the Kobo website, follow the steps in this article:
After you create a Kobo account, use the credentials to sign in to your Kobo eReader, apps, and services.
Wi Fi set up tips for your Kobo eReader
Follow these steps if you have trouble connecting to Wi Fi on your Kobo eReader.
Tips on entering your Wi Fi information
- If you have upper and lower case letters in your Wi Fi user name and password, make sure you enter the letters as upper or lower case.
- Be careful not to mis-type the number zero and the letter “O”. If you have the number zero or the letter "O" in your user name and password, verify that you’ve entered them correctly.
- To switch to upper and lower case letters on the onscreen keyboard, tap the arrow icon at the bottom left of the onscreen keyboard.
- If you don’t see your Wi Fi network during set up, tap Re-scan at the bottom of the screen.
If you still have trouble setting up your eReader over Wi Fi, set up your eReader on your computer with the Kobo Desktop app.
Troubleshoot Wi Fi
You need a password to join some Wi Fi networks. You'll see a lock icon next to the name of any password-protected network when a list of networks is displayed. These passwords are sometimes called keys. The network administrator should be able to give you this.
Issues finding your network
If you're having trouble connecting over Wi Fi because you can't find the network you want, here are some things you can try:
- Check that you are within range of the network.
- Check that the network is available.
- Manually add the network to your eReader.
- Verify that your router supports and is set to 2.4 GHz. Kobo eReaders can only connect to Wi Fi networks that are 2.4 GHz.
Check that you're within range
Every wireless network has a range. A range is the area in which you can connect to the network. The average range of a home network is between one hundred and three hundred feet. When you're outside of a network's range, your eReader is too far away to connect.
Check that the network is available
There are a number of reasons why a network may not be available.
- If a network is provided by a business (like an internet cafe) it may only be available during certain hours.
- If there is a power failure or other technical issue, the hardware running the network may stop working.
If the network is unavailable, you will not be able to connect. You can use another Wi Fi device (like a smartphone or Wi Fi-enabled laptop) to see whether your network is available.
If your network is available and you are within range, but your eReader still doesn't list it as an available network, the network may be hidden. You can try adding the hidden network to your eReader's list yourself.
Manually add the network to your eReader
Sometimes networks don't appear in the scanned list because they're hidden. To manually add a network, follow the steps in this article.
Turn your eReader on and off
Sometimes restarting your eReader will resolve Wi Fi problems.
Set up your Kobo eReader for the first time using a computer
Follow these steps to set up a Kobo eReader using your computer.
Before you start:
Your computer must be connected to the internet to set up your eReader.
- Go to kobo.com/desktop on your computer.
- Click the red Download now button.
- After Kobo Desktop is downloaded, install it on your computer. Follow the steps on the Kobo setup page after you click the download button.
- On your computer: Open the Kobo Desktop app.
- Click SIGN IN at the top of the screen.
- Sign in to your Kobo account.
- Click Continue.
- Turn on your eReader.
- On your eReader: Tap the language you want to set up your eReader in.
- Tap Don’t have a Wi Fi network?.
- Connect one end of the Micro USB cable to your eReader and the other end to a USB port on your computer.
- The 'Configuring & Syncing' screen will appear and automatically set up your eReader.
If you don't see the 'Configuring & Syncing' screen, try plugging your eReader into a different USB port on your computer and try the steps again.
- Wait for the set up process to complete. It may take a while depending how many books you have. You'll see a 'Success!' screen when setup completes.
- Click Continue.
- Click Eject.
- Click Ok.