If you can't charge your eReader, or connect your eReader to your computer using a USB cable, follow these steps to solve the issue.
When you connect a USB cable to your eReader and to your computer, you should see a 'Computer detected' window on your eReader.
When you see the 'Computer detected' window, it means that:
- Your eReader is charging.
- You can tap Connect to connect your eReader to your computer.
If your eReader doesn't charge:
- Remove any USB hubs that are connected to your computer and connect your eReader directly to your computer's USB port.
- Connect your eReader to your computer and let it charge for a minimum of 1 hour. To fully charge your eReader, charge your eReader for three hours and see if your eReader turns on.
- If you haven't used your eReader in a while, it may not detect the computer right away.
- You can also use a USB power adapter to charge your eReader using an electrical outlet.
If you don't see the 'Computer detected' window when you plug in your USB cable to your computer, try these steps:
Inspect the eReader's USB port
Make sure there's no dust or anything blocking the eReader's USB port. Inspect to see if the USB port is loose or damaged.
Use a different USB cable
Connect your eReader to your computer using a new or different USB cable. Ensure that the USB cable can transfer data, since some USB cables can only charge.
Use a different USB port on your computer
Connect your eReader to a different USB port on your computer. If you're using a USB hub, remove the hub, and connect it directly to your computer's USB port.
Update your eReader's software
Make sure your eReader is on the latest version by syncing over Wi Fi. Software updates may fix issues related to the eReader's USB port.
- Follow the steps here to update your Kobo eReader to the latest version.
Restart your computer
Restart your computer, then try connecting your eReader to the computer using the USB cable.
Connect your eReader to a different computer
If possible, connect your eReader to a different computer, and connect the USB cable directly into the computer's USB port. If you're using a USB hub, remove the hub, and connect it directly to your computer's USB port.
If the steps above didn't work:
- Factory reset your eReader, and try the steps above again.