With the Kobo Books App on your Android device, you can purchase eBooks and audiobooks right on your smartphone or tablet.
Before you start, you'll need to set up Google Play billing. Google Play billing lets you easily make purchases on your Kobo Books app.
In this article:
- How to set up Google Play billing
- Features that are not available at this time
- Buy an eBook or audiobook on the Kobo Books app
- About eBook and audiobook file sizes
How to set up Google Play billing
To set up Google Play billing:
- Open the Google Play app on your phone.
- Tap the Profile icon at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap Payment & subscriptions.
- Tap Payment methods.
- Tap on the desired payment method.
- Follow the onscreen steps to enter your information.
After you've set up your Google Play billing, you can make purchases on your Kobo Books app.
- For additional information about setting up Google Play billing, visit the official Google Play support page for more details.
- To start a refund process on Google Play billing, follow the steps in this article.
Features that are not available at this time
Some purchasing and discounting features will be unavailable on the Kobo Books app for Android. You can still have full access to the services directly on Kobo.com.
Here's a list of features that aren't available on the Kobo Books app (Android), but still available on Kobo.com:
- Redeeming store credit
- Store credits will be automatically applied when you purchase an item on Kobo.com.
- If you're using the Kobo Books app on Android, you'll need to make your purchase on Kobo.com to redeem your store credit.
Learn how to redeem store credits on Kobo.com
- Starting a free Kobo Plus trial
Visit Kobo.com to start a free Kobo Plus trial.
- Starting a free Audiobooks trial
Learn how to start a free audiobook trial on Kobo.com
- Redeeming promo codes
Learn how to redeem promo codes on Kobo.com
- Pre-ordering books
Learn how to pre-order books on Kobo.com
- Redeeming Kobo Super Points
Note: If you're a customer in Japan or Taiwan, you will not be able to redeem Kobo Super points on the Kobo App. You can always redeem points when you purchase your item from Kobo.com.
Learn how to redeem Kobo Super Points on Kobo.com
- Redeeming a physical gift card on the app
Learn how to redeem a physical gift card on Kobo.com
- Redeeming e-gift cards on the app
Learn how to redeem e-gift cards on Kobo.com
- Signing up for a Kobo VIP membership
Learn how to sign up for Kobo VIP membership on Kobo.com
Buy an eBook or audiobook on the Kobo Books app
After you've set up your Google Play billing information, you can purchase content on your smartphone or tablet using the Kobo Books app.
To buy an eBook or audiobook:
- Go to your Home screen.
- Under Browse Kobo Store near the top of the screen, tap eBooks, audiobooks, or Kobo Plus.
Note: Kobo Plus is not available in some countries.
- Tap the cover of the eBook or audiobook that you're interested in.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap Buy Now.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete your purchase.
About eBook and audiobook file sizes
An average audiobook file size is approximately 30MB to 300MB depending on length. It's recommended to download audiobook content over Wi Fi to reduce extra data charges with your carrier.
eBooks can range from 5MB to over 100MB depending on the length of the book and the number of images.
- Listen to audiobooks on your Kobo Books app
- Read eBooks on your Kobo Books app
- Changes to purchasing with the Kobo App for Android