Downloading your books in EPUB or PDF format lets you export them to read on devices or apps from other manufacturers than Kobo. Not all manufacturers support the EPUB file format.
Note: You don’t need to download and export a book you've purchased from the Kobo Store to read it on your Kobo eReader or app, since it will automatically appear in your Library. Just sync your eReader or sync your Kobo App for iOS or Kobo App for Android to see your latest purchases.
Most books are protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM). This means that you’ll need a free software called Adobe Digital Editions to export the book on to your device.
- DRM-protected content
- DRM-free content
"DRM-protected" means that you need Adobe Digital Editions to export the EPUB or PDF on to a device made by another manufacturer than Kobo. "DRM-free" means that you can export the EPUB or PDF file to that device directly, without using Adobe Digital Editions.
Download and export DRM-protected content
You can download and export most items that you’ve purchased from the Kobo Store if you'd like to read them on a device or app from an other manufacturer than Kobo.
- Go to kobo.com
- Sign in to your account.
- Open your account details with one of these options:
- On your computer: Click My Account next to the Profile icon at the top right of the page.
- On your smartphone or tablet: Click the Menu icon at the top left of the page, then click My Account next to the Profile icon.
- Click My Books.
- Click the Actions icon beside book title or cover:
- Click Download.
- Click Download file.
What happens next?
- If you downloaded a DRM-protected EPUB or DRM PDF, you'll need to use Adobe Digital Editions to export the EPUB or PDF file on to your eReader. Learn more about Adobe Digital Editions.
- If your EPUB or PDF is not protected with Digital Rights Management, you can connect your device to your computer and export the EPUB or PDF to your device.