If a factory reset didn't solve your problem, you can try a manual factory reset to restore your eReader to its original settings.
After a manual factory reset, you'll need to set up and sync your eReader again.
Before you try a manual reset
Try the factory reset steps to see if it fixes the problem.
Verify which eReader you have.
If you’re not sure what which Kobo eReader you have, follow the steps in this article: Kobo eReader model numbers.
A few things to keep in mind
If you perform a factory reset on your eReader, you will:
- Remove all books from your eReader.
Any books you purchased from Kobo can be re-downloaded after a factory reset.
- Remove books you've added to your eReader using your computer.
For example, if you added non-protected PDF and ePub files using your computer, those files will be deleted.
- Lose any bookmarks and annotations you've made in your books since you last synced your eReader.
- Sign out of your account on your eReader.
- Reset all of your settings and preferences.
- Return your eReader to its original settings.
Before you start:
- Charge your eReader for at least 1 hour.
- Make sure you have access to a Wi Fi connection.
- If possible, turn off your eReader.
Note: If your eReader doesn't turn off, try pressing and holding the power button until you see Powered off on your screen.
- Insert a paper clip into the small hole beside the Micro USB slot and push gently. You'll feel a click and your eReader will reset itself.
- When you see square icons on the screen, insert a paper clip into the small hole beside the Micro USB slot and push gently.
- Repeat step 3 two more times.
- Your eReader's screen will turn black, and show a Critical error message. Don't worry, this is normal.
- Tap the check mark icon at the bottom of the screen to reset your eReader.
- You'll see a Restoring message on the screen.
Set up your eReader
After you reset your eReader, set it up over Wi Fi or with the Kobo Desktop app on your computer.
Note: If you have issues setting up your Kobo eReader over Wi Fi, use the Kobo Desktop app to set up your eReader with your computer.